Bureaux de Change and Travel Money Tips
Changing your travel money and obtaining the cheapest foreign currency exchange rates can be a bit of a hassle before you go on holiday but many people just don’t realise how much difference there can be between the price you pay for the different methods of getting the best foreign exchange.
Prepaid Currency Cards
- Ease of Use
- Great exchange rates
- Next Day Delivery
- Safer than carrying cash
- Order online for best rates
- Save time at the airport
- Avoid inflated airport rates
- Convenience of Cash
- Read more about how to get the best deals!
Credit & Debit Cards
- Some banks do specific deals for credit/debit cards to be used abroad
- Credit purchase protection
- Ease of use
- You do need to be organised and sort these out in advance
Online Currency Exchange
It’s always useful to have cash when you are abroad, and some countries aren’t big on card payments at all. If that’s the case, you may want to get your cash ordered in advance as you can usually get the best rates by doing this. Travelex have been around for a long time and have many years experience in foreign currency, so you can rest assured that you are going to get a good deal. They have a bureau de change at Newcastle Airport, so you can pick up pre-ordered cards or currency there – Very handy!
Money Saving Tips
The method you use will depend a lot on when you are going on holiday. Exchange rates also change daily so a deal you will get one day from one provider may change the next day and mean another provider is cheaper at the time you need to change your holiday money.
- There are plenty of prepaid currency cards out there now – these can be a great option but make sure you research your destination. Some countries deal better with card payments than others. Even if you are only planning to use it to withdraw cash, you may want to check on the availability of ATMs and which cards that they accept.
- Do check the rates when you are ordering currency online, some are better than others. However, ordering in advance will nearly always have a better rate than doing it on the day at the airport.
- There are some great articles out there on what the best credit and debit cards to get are, if you do a lot of travel abroad. Do your research well in advance for these, as it can take time to apply and get set up. Check the small print on these, as there can be high penalties for using the cards in the UK. It’s worth keeping it separate and only using it when you are abroad.